- The Centrally Sponsored Scheme “National Means-cum-Merit Scholarship Scheme (NMMSS)” was launched in May, 2008.
- Scholarships are awarded to the gifted or meritorious students whose parental income is not more than Rs. 1,50,000/- per annum.
- Students studying as regular students in class IX, X, XI and XII in a Government, Government-aided and local body schools for a maximum period of four years.
- The amount of scholarship will be Rs. 12000/- per annum @ Rs. 1000 per month.
- Scholarships are disbursed by the State Bank of India through DBT method.
- The students studying in “KENDRIYA VIDYALAYAS’ and “JAWAHAR NAVODAYA VIDYALAYAS” are not entitled to get this scholarship.
- Students studying in Residential Schools run by the State Government Institutions, where facilities like boarding, lodging and education are provided and students studying in private schools are also not eligible for the scholarship under this scheme.
- The proposals/list of beneficiaries is required to be submitted/ uploaded on-line over National Scholarship Portal (NSP) from 2018-19.
- Institute and Districts need to verifythe authenticity of students registered through NSP (National Scholarship Portal)
PROCEDURE FOR SELECTION OF AWARDEE STUDENTS:
- State level NMMSS exam is conducted in the month of November in every state.
- There are 40 numbers of centers in all over Assam.
- The question paper of 2018 was set by Cotton University, Guwahati, Assam.
- All Technical support including Online Application, Admit card Preparation, Supply of OMR sheets and Preparation of Result are done by SMB Systems Pvt. Ltd. Mumbai which is a vendor approved by this Directorate.
STATE LEVEL NMMSS EXAMINATION PATERN:
- Mental Ability Test (MAT): 90 multiple-choice questions testing verbal and non-verbal meta-cognitive abilities like reasoning and critical thinking.
- Scholastic Aptitude Test (SAT):90 multiple-choice questions covering subjects namely, science, social studies and mathematics as taught in classes VII and VIII.
- Minimum of 55 % marks or equivalent grade in Class VII examination is needed for appearing NMMSS examination (5% less for SC/ST students).
- Children with disability will be given extra time, as applicable.
METHOD OF SELECTION:
For selecting the students, the following conditions may apply:
- The students must pass both the tests i.e. MAT and SAT with at least
40 % marks in aggregate taken together for these two tests. (For the SC/ST students, 32% marks)
- The student must have scored at least 55% mark or equivalent grade in Class VIII examination. (50 % for SC/ST students).
- The state current quota of Assam is 2441.
CONDITIONS FOR DISBURSEMENT OF SCHOLARSHIPS:
- A student can avail only one Scholarship under any scheme.
- The awardees will be required to open bank accounts preferably in SBI, or any public sector bank or any scheduled bank which has core banking facility.
- The awardees should get minimum of 55% marks in Class IX and XI and 60% in Class X for continuance of scholarship (Relaxable by 5% for SC/ST candidates) in next higher classes.
- Students should not take up any job.
- No scholarship shall be available for studies abroad for any course.
- No claim for scholarship arrears will be entertained after the expiry of 12 months of the academic session for which one has applied for the claim.
- In case any Awardee leaves his/her course of study within one month of registration/admission, no scholarship shall be paid to him/her.
- In case Awardee is not able to appear at the annual examination due to serious illness, one should send the medical certificate through the Head of the Institution within three months of one’s falling ill.
- The Awardee must join the next class/desired course within 3 months of the declaration of the result of the previous class/course.
- Scholarship shall be deemed to be discontinued with any gap of one academic session in studies at any time due to any reason.
- The awardees should get clear promotion from class VIII to Class IX for being eligible for starting the scholarship.
- No scholarship at this stage is payable for studying diploma/certificate level courses.
Ph. No. 94357-76767
Mail id- firstname.lastname@example.org
Follow us at Facebook as Nmmss Assam
Twitter as NMMSS ASSAM